Japanese food is popular across the globe but nothing quite compares to strolling the streets of Tokyo, Kyoto or anywhere where there are vendors peddling decades old recipes to the public. We're rounded some of the most popular and delicious Japanese street foods below. Enjoy!
1. Okonomiyaki - Okonomiyaki means “grilled as you like it” and appropriately so. These savory pancakes can be filled with a variety of items such as bacon, cabbage or tempura scraps and are topped with different condiments.
2. Karaage - This Japanese fried chicken has lots of flavor packed into a bite-sized nugget. The chicken is marinated in sake, soy sauce, ginger and garlic. It is then coated with potato starch and deep fried.
3. Takoyaki - This savory ball-shaped pancake is typically filled with octopus and topped with mayonnaise and pickled ginger. Because of its shape, a special molded pan is used to make this popular street food. Learn to make Takoyaki here.
4. Kare Pan - Japanese curry wrapped in dough before being coated in breadcrumbs and deep fried. Also known as curry bread, this snack is popular in bakeries and convenience stores throughout Japan.
5. Tomorokoshi - This is corn-on-the-cob grilled with miso, butter and soy sauce. It’s served on a stick and is the perfect on-the-go savory snack and is popular during the summer months in Japan.
6. Taiyaki - A fish-shaped cake can be ordered sweet or savory. The most common filling is red bean paste but you can also get it filled with custard, chocolate, cheese or sweet potato.
7. Yakisoba - Stir fry noodles that is served with port and a thick savory and sweet sauce. This filling dish is popular as a street food but is also commonly enjoyed in many Japanese households for lunch or dinner.
8. Dango - This is a sweet dumpling make from mochiko (sweet rice flour). Three to five are often served on a skewer. Dango is popular all year round but certain flavors are more common depending on the season.
9. Shioyaki - A very salty fish, often Mackerel, with a crispy skin and served alone or with rice. It is not uncommon to enjoy Shioyaki for breakfast as well as throughout the day.
10. Kakigori - This Japanese shaved ice is a summertime favorite in Japan. It is topped with flavored syrups and condensed milk. In addition to street vendors, Kakigori is also popular in coffee shops and restaurants.